[Grok-dev] first thoughts on "regebro-guido-templates"

Darryl Cousins darryl at darrylcousins.net.nz
Sun Oct 28 18:10:50 EDT 2007

Hi,

On Sun, 2007-10-28 at 01:22 -0400, Brandon Craig Rhodes wrote:
> [...]
>
>  1) Why self.__grok_module__ keeps getting involved.
>  2) Putting template logic together into one class.
>
> My ideas:
>
>  1) The question was raised: Why does the new template code require
>     template plugin classes to do this in their __init__() functions:
>
>         self.__grok_module__ = martian.util.caller_module()
>
>     This should go away.  What is it trying to do?
>
>     I have looked around, and noticed that the old-fashioned Grok
>     template logic does exactly the same thing.  And the reason why
>     hinges on an interesting asymmetry: a Grok programmer creates
>     Models and Views through subclassing, but he creates Templates
>     through instantiation!
>
>     Since martian is built around the idea of grokking classes, it
>     only pays attention to objects whose __module__ is the same as
>     that of the module it's searching.  This works wonderfully for
>     classes: it makes martian ignore classes you've brought into your
>     module through "import", since their __module__ names the one they
>     were imported from, not the one martian's currently scanning.  But
>     it has the side-effect of making martian completely ignore class
>     instances defined in another module from the class itself, because
>     Python instances don't have their own __module__ attribute - they
>     inherit the value from their class instead.  (For details, grep
>     through martian for the "locally_defined" function.)
>
>     And, again, all of this causes problems only because of the
>     asymmetry between how you create, say, a view:
>
>         class MyView(grok.View):
>
>     and how you create a template:
>
>         myTemplate = grok.PageTemplate("...")
>
>     which produces a mere instance.  This all brings us back to that
>     ugly:
>
>         self.__grok_module__ = martian.util.caller_module()
>
>     call which, we now see, is an attempt to fool martain into looking
>     at instances by stating which module they "belong to".
>
>     I will suggest four alternative approaches, any of which I think
>     would make things far simpler, and it would be really nice if the
>     "regebro-guido-templates" branch was converted to one of them
>     before being merged.  I'm willing to write code. :-)
>
>     Approach A: Make templates classes.
>
>         This would abandon the asymmetry above, and require users to
>         create a class for each inline template they wanted to create.
>         Instead of having class-instance pairs like:
>
>             class AView(grok.View):
>             aTemplate = grok.PageTemplate("...")
>
>         they would have pairs of classes, something like:
>
>             class AView(grok.View):
>             class ATemplate(grok.PageTemplate):
>                 content = '...'
>
>         This might have other advantages involving the ability to mark
>         up templates with the same sorts of directives we use for
>         other things in Grok.  For example, a Template could accept a
>         grok.context(...) (or grok.view(...)?) statement explicitly
>         stating the View it should work with, just like Views can
>         state the objects that they adapt.  Or maybe that would never

This approach is pretty much what I use for mars.template. Please see:
http://svn.zope.org/Sandbox/darrylcousins/mars.template/src/mars/template/README.txt?view=markup

The ftests in the package use the old grok method of doctests but should
provide additional documentation on how it all works.

Disclaimer: I haven't been back to the mars packages for 3 months as
I've been busy with other projects. Obviously therefore they will be
broken against recent grok but the code may be worth a look still.

Best regards,
Darryl