[Grok-dev] Re: broken buildout run leaves grokproject in non-usable state

Martijn Faassen faassen at startifact.com
Mon Sep 3 07:38:23 EDT 2007

Philipp von Weitershausen wrote:
> Jan Ulrich Hasecke wrote:
>> Refering to my thread about installing zc.sourcefactory I just want to
>> add that a broken buildout run inside of a grokproject leaves the
>> instance in a non-usable state.
>>
>> For example zopectl is erased in the beginning but to reinstalled.
>>
>> The error which broke my buildout run is:
>>
>> Error: There is a version conflict.
>> We already have: ZODB3 3.9.0-dev-r77011
>> but grok 0.10 requires 'ZODB3==3.8.0b2'.
>
> Both Wichert and I gave you pointers how to fix this: add a version
> section in your buildout.cfg and refer to it from the [buildout] section
> via versions = ...
>

> This whole discussion really does mean that we need to tackle the whole
> "known working set" discussion rather sooner than later. I'll bring it
> up on zope3-dev.

Don't know whether you saw the discussion, but one possible solution is
to maintain a buildout section on a URL somewhere which lists versions
grok requires, then make grokproject produce a buildout.cfg with a
versions that loads this up.

I'd prefer this buildout section to be somewhere else than the net, for
instance to be maintained in the grok package so we can more easily
version and maintain it in SVN, but I'm not sure whether there's support
for this. We could use URLs to the repository but that's not a very
satisfactory solution.