[Grok-dev] Re: thoughts while writing a tutorial

Martijn Faassen faassen at startifact.com
Mon Sep 10 16:09:39 EDT 2007

Brandon Craig Rhodes wrote:
> I wrote:
>
>> I am about halfway done, but have run into a problem: adding a
>> Unicode character to my tutorial results in an exception, and I
>> cannot quite determine what's wrong.
>
> As a follow-up to my post, it turns out that I can temporarily get
> things working - and thus continue making progress on my tutorial
> without having to re-train myself to not type em-dashes and correctly
> matched double-quotes - by making two changes on my system:
>
>  1. Edit /usr/lib/python2.5/site.py and change the line:
>       encoding = "ascii" # Default value set by _PyUnicode_Init()
>     to:
>       encoding = "utf8"
>     This is a terrible idea, but until Grok/Zope 3 gets fixed, it
>     seems the only way to solve the exception I was getting.
>     With this change, ./bin/grok2html now runs successfully to
>     completion.  But the pages do not render correctly in my browser!

This is really a terrible idea. I think this is not a Grok or Zope 3
problem, but purely a problem with the grok2html script. Darryl?

Note that this script isn't Zope 3 or grok itself, it's just a Python
script.

If you have docutils installed, you often have available scripts like
rst2html to test the conversion without bothering with the script. It
won't render the exact same way but you can check whether you got your
restructured text right.