[Grok-dev] Ignas's work on grokproject

Martijn Faassen faassen at startifact.com
Wed Sep 12 12:29:03 EDT 2007

Hi there,

Ignas has been irritated that installing grok requires either a
workingenv or root access to set up grokproject. In my blog he posted
the following suggestion:

"""
Hmm,
http://ignas.pov.lt/grokproject-buildout.tar.gz and
http://ignas.pov.lt/grokproject-easyinstall.tar.gz

two takes on the problem. Both will work even on ubuntu with a broken
version of setuptools and a conflicting version of pytz installed.
Neither requires root. Downside - buildouts created with grokproject
will share the same virtual python installation though, but i didn't
have time to work around that yet. On the upside - buildouts will be
more or less isolated from system python, so they will work even if the
person installing grok has Zope3 installed in his system.

To try out - download, extract, make and run bin/grokproject to create a
project
"""

I haven't looked into this myself yet, but it sounds like a promising
initiative. Could you look into this, Philipp?