[Grok-dev] First Experience with Grok

David Pratt fairwinds at eastlink.ca
Fri Sep 14 17:44:39 EDT 2007

Hi Shane. I don't think you will get any argument that Grok is a great
entry point to Zope 3. I really like the lighthearted approach of this
community and the Grok character. I like to read about its development
despite the fact I work with Zope 3 without the grokking.

There is plenty to learn in Zope 3 and at the time it was conceived I
believe it was a little conflicted with what folks were still doing with
through the web scripting in Zope 2. The whole rotterdam skin concept
has certainly been abandoned for quite some time and a modern way of
programming with Zope 3 has evolved. Phillips books have also helped
bring much of this to light.

I'd argue that Zope 3 is a framework but without one that doesn't impose
limits with what you might want to do with it. It is not really
'contained' like any other framework. Maybe the framework without a
frame :-) It is only configuration that explicitly binds your work
together. I find it a natural place for a python programmer but others
may disagree. Zope 3 may not be well marketed - but is it excellent?
Certainly. Twisted is another example of this. Fortunately for folks
that wish to dig deeper in Zope 3, Grok's ease ought to at least attract
them to consider the journey. I am happy that Grok provides this
opportunity and a welcoming community. :-)

Regards,
David