[Grok-dev] Re: maintaining the Grok website

Luciano Ramalho luciano at ramalho.org
Sun Sep 16 12:43:32 EDT 2007

On 9/15/07, Sebastian Ware <sebastian at urbantalk.se> wrote:
> I know what you mean. Seeing is believing. I agree with that 100%.
> I'll rest my case when Luciano says what I sent him sucks... :)

I'm Brazilian, Sebastian, so I'll never say it sucks, even if it does :).

Now, seriously, I will try Proton and review it's code with an open
mind, but I've already made public my support to the use of Plone 3
for the Grok site. I may change my mind after testing Proton, but to
be honest I think it is unlikely that I will find it *the* solution
for the Grok site. But I believe it's good to be able to mix tools
when building sites with varied needs (even the Ruby on Rails folks
use Trac!), so maybe Proton can find it's place as a specialized tool.

Even if we do not end up using it at the Grok site, I think there is
tremendous value in having a lightweight CMS as an example
application.

[from another post by Sebastian Ware]
> What Grok really needs is a really lightweight solution that has a smart
> knowledge base/commented API kind of thing.

The interactive API tool is a possible area where Proton could be a
better match to our needs than Plone.

But I believe the front-end of Grok.zope.org and most of it's
collaborative content should be hosted by Plone which, as Martin says,
has had much of it's massive development effort driven by a use case
similar to ours: the Plone.org site itself.

Regards,

Luciano