[Grok-dev] Re: LocalUtility Woes

Philipp von Weitershausen philipp at weitershausen.de
Mon Sep 17 17:52:50 EDT 2007

Kevin Smith wrote:
> Perhaps I'm missing something.
>
> AFAIK if a new LocalUtility or Index needs to be added to the
> Application object, I need to delete it and re-create it.
>
> This is a real PITA. Without any solid export/import mechanisms in place
> this means having to wait until the application is "perfect", or creating yet another
> adhoc export/import mechanism. IMO this kills the precepts of Agile development and
> Evolvability.
>
> So, is there anything that prevents some kind of "re-evaluation" of a
> grok.Application at startup to allow addition and removal of local utilities and catalog indexes?

I see you're experiencing Seaver's law of persistence: "Persistence
means having to say I'm sorry".

Seriously, we're aware of the problem. I'd say a "re-evaluation" as you
suggest sounds probably doable (note that it needs to be smart because
it needs to act accordingly when you remove stuff as well). We accept
patches :).