[Grok-dev] Re: LocalUtility Woes

Martijn Faassen faassen at startifact.com
Tue Sep 18 15:30:11 EDT 2007

Philipp von Weitershausen wrote:
> Kevin Smith wrote:
[snip]
>> So, is there anything that prevents some kind of "re-evaluation" of a
>> grok.Application at startup to allow addition and removal of local
>> utilities and catalog indexes?
>
> I see you're experiencing Seaver's law of persistence: "Persistence
> means having to say I'm sorry".
>
> Seriously, we're aware of the problem. I'd say a "re-evaluation" as you
> suggest sounds probably doable (note that it needs to be smart because
> it needs to act accordingly when you remove stuff as well). We accept
> patches :).

Yup, known problem. I think the fix would be something like:

* define a new (re-)install utilities event

* make the current code use this to install utilities (instead of simply
using IObjectAddedEvent)

* make sure this event is fired when we add an application

* also add a knob in the admin UI for firing this event.

There are probably niggly details on which utilities to throw away,
reinstall, etc. Sometimes you want the existing utilities to be wiped
out and replaced, sometimes you only want new utilities to show up. We
probably need an admin UI eventually where you can manually remove
utilities.