[Grok-dev] Re: the grok website: Plone?

Martin Aspeli optilude at gmx.net
Fri Sep 21 06:29:24 EDT 2007

Luciano Ramalho wrote:
> To foster collaboration, I think we should leverage the fact that
> Plone aims at decentralized editing, and make it possible for any
> member to post content to their own folder without having to wait for
> approval (like the original Plone workflow). That content should then
> be presented organized by category and/or content type in smart
> folders located near the root of the site.

For the record, Plone 3 no longer has this as a default, and we no
longer actively promote this strategy. I don't think it'd be that good
for a site like grok.zope.org, where we really want to have a strong
"story" that is well put together, not decentralised content that
happens to be co-located.

Also note that Plone 3 makes it much easier to delegate permissions to
add, edit or view content in specific folders, using the much-improved
Sharing tab.

> Besides decentralized collaboration, we should have some "canonical"
> content, such as the official tutorial, edited and presented
> centrally.

Right. We may be able to have a developer's area that's more wiki-like
(Plone 3 has wiki features built in) and less gardened, but I would
caution against hoping that this approach produces documentation that is
well suited for an end-user/developer audience.

> Plone has a lot to offer as the basis of the Grok site, but to me the
> most important new content will be a navigable and searchable public
> API documentation open for user comments and examples. Because of the
> experimental nature of this, I believe it should be written in Grok so
> that anyone in our community feels comfortable contributing to it's
> functionality.

+1 for automated API browser in Grok.

Martin

--