[Grok-dev] Re: Neanderthal sprint topics

Philipp von Weitershausen philipp at weitershausen.de
Fri Sep 28 17:14:02 EDT 2007

Martijn Faassen wrote:
> Hi there,
>
> Here is a summery of the proposed sprint topics, with some added by
> myself as I think of them.

[snip]

I'm +1 on pretty much all topics. I wouldn't give any a particular
priority except the reference. I think we really need one.

> * KSS for Grok. Godefroid will be there for at least the first half of
>   the sprint I heard, so I hope we'll get some KSS integration work
>   done. Having this would make me really excited, as there's all sorts
>   of cool things we can do with KSS. Besides integration code, I hope
>   this can also result in some form of tutorial.

I created an experimental thing a while ago:
http://svn.zope.org/Sandbox/philikon/megrok.kiss/. When I tried it out
recently, it didn't work, but I'm sure it can be made to.

> * Theming hook for Grok. I know JW and Lennart need to talk on this.

By the way, I looked at integrating Genshi into Zope 3 the other day.
It's shockingly easy. Takes you about 3 lines of code. I wouldn't mind
ditching PageTemplates (at least as the preferred option) altogether
since Genshi

* has more appealing templating syntax (I think it's much faster)

* is much more push-oriented (rather than ZPT's orientation towards pull)

* has support for theming and pipelining.

I know this sounds a bit revolutionary, but a prototype would be cool.

> * Grok and WSGI. Philipp, who unfortunately won't be there, has done
>   quite a bit of work on Zope 3/Grok and WSGI. We could investigate this
>   work, experiment with some WSGI middleware, and devise a plan to
>   get this integrated into Grok.

I have created a branch of grokproject already that uses zopeproject as
the underlying machinery (and therefore creates sandboxes that use
WSGI+Paste). This worked when I did it (haven't tried it since).

After some refactorings in zopeproject, it could even be made simpler
yet. In fact, I'm suggesting that they should be folded into one egg. A
Zope3-style zopeproject and a Grok-style zopeproject are very close in
many ways (which is good for both, I think). So let's make them just two
faces of the same thing. This should help Zope's overall entry story
anyway: you can always point people to this one tool.

If anyone would like to work on this, let me know and I'll give you some
additional pointers.