[Grok-dev] Templating alternatives, Was: Neanderthal sprint topics

Jan-Wijbrand Kolman janwijbrand at gmail.com
Sat Sep 29 03:50:23 EDT 2007

Philipp von Weitershausen wrote:
>> * Theming hook for Grok. I know JW and Lennart need to talk on this.
>
> By the way, I looked at integrating Genshi into Zope 3 the other day.
> It's shockingly easy. Takes you about 3 lines of code. I wouldn't mind
> ditching PageTemplates (at least as the preferred option) altogether
> since Genshi
>
> * has more appealing templating syntax (I think it's much faster)
>
> * is much more push-oriented (rather than ZPT's orientation towards pull)
>
> * has support for theming and pipelining.
>
> I know this sounds a bit revolutionary, but a prototype would be cool.

I'm all for provides more templating alternatives. But maybe I'm a bit
more conservative here, if I'd like to say:

* Providing Genshi as a templating option should not be just on the Grok
layer. If I understand you correctly, your prototype was indeed on a
Zope-3 level, and that's good! If we were to embrace Genshi (or whatever
other alternative templating system), we should (IMHO) make sure it is a
usable alternative for Zope-3 itself first too.

* I would not like the idea of having Genshi as the *default* templating
system when using Grok, as long as Zope-3 itself uses ZPT as the
default. Still, I fully agree that we should provide an easily
accessible way of choosing a templating system for your application
development.

Kind regards,
jw