[Grok-dev] Re: updated list of Neanderthal sprint topics

Philipp von Weitershausen philipp at weitershausen.de
Sun Sep 30 14:15:00 EDT 2007

Martijn Faassen wrote:
> I'm now in Germany in the hotel! I thought of another sprint topic: Grok
> startup time.

Greetings from hotel to hotel then ;)

> It'd be quite interesting to see what we can do to increase startup time
> of Grok. Jim has made a package available called zc.configure that can
> be used to exclude ZCML from being loaded.

A class Fultonian typo: the package is called zc.configuration.

> This can, according to Jim, be used to cut startup time (and also test setup time) significantly.
>
> This is quite interesting - I'd really love it if Grok could start up a
> lot faster than it does now. There's also likely a lot of ZCML we can
> cut out (anything doing the ZMI for starters!).

Absolutely. Note that Roger Ineichen has also done a lot in this respect
by factoring out the pure Python components from several zope.app.*
packages to equivalent zope.* packages last week. If we stop loading the
zope.app.* packages and load the zope.* packages instead, we won't get
those awful ZMI browser pages at all.

Basically, it all starts with not loading zope.app.zcmlfiles but loading
only the things that we want. zc.configuration will probably be a nice
tool to cut down startup time *on top of that*. I just don't believe in
saying:

   <include package="everything" />
   <except package="this that etc" />

   (pseudo ZCML)