[Grok-dev] On CMS's in Grok

Peter Bengtsson peter at fry-it.com
Tue Apr 1 17:43:05 EDT 2008

On 01/04/2008, Martin Aspeli <optilude at gmx.net> wrote:
> Hi all,
>
>  In light of recent summer of code projects, and the three or four CMS
>  projects that have been mentioned off the back of that, I wanted to
>  write something to the list for comment. I realise this may sound a
>  little arrogant or presumtive, but it's not meant in that way at all. I
>  just want to foster some debate and see what people think.
>
>  To start with a controversial statement:
>
>   Don't build a Grok CMS.
>
>  Or the corollary:
>
>   Don't try to compete with Plone.

Fair point. I think a lot of people see that the benefit with Plone
isn't its technical merit but that it's hit the ground and running
even for novice web managers. The fact that it's got support of
zillion different solutions seems to be too easily forgotten when we
want to reinvent a leaner wheel.

I think a lot of people (especially those on this list) are dreaming
of a CMS that is building blocks rather than kitchen sink and there's
little that can be done about that.

I sincerely hope Grok CMSs will spawn some standalone components and
will benefit Plone in future versions. Components that then Plone can
just write a higher level abstraction for and thus saves a lot of
time.

--
Peter Bengtsson,
work www.fry-it.com