[Grok-dev] Re: On CMS's in Grok

Martin Aspeli optilude at gmx.net
Tue Apr 1 17:58:46 EDT 2008

Peter Bengtsson wrote:

> I think a lot of people (especially those on this list) are dreaming
> of a CMS that is building blocks rather than kitchen sink and there's
> little that can be done about that.

As a developer/architect, the "building blocks" approach sounds
immensely attractive. If I could just install the bits I wanted and they
would all "just work", how wonderful!

I'm not quite sure software development has gotten there yet, though.
The "building blocks" are libraries and the "installation" means writing
glue code. If the building blocks are cleanly defined, well-tested,
well-documented and well-designed, though, the glue code becomes trivial
and pleasant. I think this is what I'm trying to get at.

Martin