[Grok-dev] Re: Grok w/o ZODB

Tim Terlegård tim.terlegard at valentinewebsystems.se
Mon Apr 14 06:56:02 EDT 2008

On Apr 14, 2008, at 12:05 PM, Philipp von Weitershausen wrote:

> Michael Haubenwallner wrote:
>> Hi, i've just posted about my package that lets you run Grok
>> without the ZODB dependency.
>>  http://blog.d2m.at/2008/04/13/grok-without-zodb-wsgi-based/
>> I'd appreciate your feedback.
>
> I couldn't find a way to comment on your blog, so here's my feedback:
>
> * Currently you have a hard-coded root object that you import. It
> would be much nicer to make it pluggable as a utility, e.g.
>
>  getUtility(IRootObject)
>
> That way you'd have pluggable root storages instantly (a ZODB
> backend could register its root object as a utility upon opening the
> database, an SQLAlchemy backend could do the same based on user
> input, etc.)

WSGI is a topic on the grok sprint. It would really nice if we on the
grok
sprint could wsgify grok and make zodb optional (but still being the
default).

Is it possible to introduce this root object utility in zope.publisher
or wherever
it belongs? Others have made packages for no zodb as well. I
definately think
we shouldn't need separate packages for this. Can this be added to zope
core without refactoring too much and so everybody is happy? Can we do
it
on the grok sprint?

/Tim