[Grok-dev] Re: Rules of Grok document; how to integrate this into the website?

Luciano Ramalho luciano at ramalho.org
Mon Apr 21 14:37:10 EDT 2008

I happen to own an exemplar of "The Machinery's Handbook" (14th
edition) which I inherited from my paternal grandfather, who was a
mechanical engineer. The book is still on sale [1].

http://www.industrialpress.com/en/MachinerysHandbook/default.aspx

My 1952 edition of the Machinery's Handbook has 1912 pages. That's why
I thought the names "Handbook" or "Manual" may give the impression of
something exhaustive which "The Rules of Grok" is not and does not
want to be.

>  At least in Atlanta English, an "Overview" is a brief description of
>  what something is, usually including a high-level list of features.
>  The sort of thing that a manager, or boss, might read when deciding
>  whether to use something, or that a developer might read over quickly
>  before deciding whether to download it.

I agree with Brandon that Overview is not appropriate for the reasons he gives.

Of the alternative titles given so far, the one I like most is
"Developer's Notes". "Developer's Overview" is not bad either, as at
least it makes it clear it's not for managers.

But I think "The Rules of Grok" trumps them all.

Cheers,

Luciano