[Grok-dev] the checking-your-project-back-out story

Brandon Craig Rhodes brandon at rhodesmill.org
Sat Apr 26 13:41:44 EDT 2008

repeating the information; I looked around and didn't see it anywhere
else on the site) put on the Grok site a document about how to
version-control a Grok project:

http://grok.zope.org/documentation/how-to/placing-your-grok-project-under-version-control/view

I don't know if my document is entirely accurate, but I figured we'd
better start with something. :-)

I found it more tedious to write than I'd expected, because I hadn't
thought about how long the checking-it-back-out story is for Grok
projects, becuase we've provided nothing in our default grok buildout
that makes it easy to get the project going again.  The Grok newbie
has either got to:

 - "easy_install zc.buildout" on his whole dratted system;
 - create a "virutalenv" and "easy_install zc.buildout" there; or,
 - get bootstrap.py and maybe keep it VC'd with his project.

I probably haven't described either way of doing it very well in my
document, and before doing a lot more writing I wanted to stop and ask
if we wouldn't rather standardize on one story for normal Grok
developers rather than describe several methods, every one of which
requires the user to download and install things from outside of Grok
itself.

I really like just including "bootstrap.py" because then the
instructions are very simple for how to "get your project working
again" when you've checked it out.

PvW needs to explain whether things are "all different" once we move
to "zopeproject" and "paster"; will that get rid of all/some of the
pain of getting a Grok project going again?