[Grok-dev] Re: A Django-like admin in Grok

Robert Gravina robert at gravina.com
Sat Apr 26 22:14:42 EDT 2008

On 25/04/2008, at 12:28 PM, Robert Gravina wrote:

>> Anyway, I think the general message is clear: create something that
>> helps people put up CRUD-style UIs in a hurry.

For anyone who's interested, this is my plan for the short-term
regarding this:

1) Build my current project in Django. It's unfortunately too far in
to change now. I've driven my coworkers nuts with the to-ing and fro-
ing between frameworks recently :)
2) Meanwhile, learn as much as I can about Grok, and see what I/the
community can get going for a Django-like admin.
3) In about three months time, when this project will be done, look at
Grok again and see if I can use it for future projects.

At my place of work we have several Plone sites in operation... my
main motivation for a change of framework/CMS was my bad experiences
with Plone - it just seemed like Plone was too much work for what we
needed out of it... It could however be that I'm just not that great a
Plone developer... however, we've had similar problems when others far
more experienced have done Plone sites for us... I can see how Zope 3
was built out of the lessons learned from Zope 2, which is why, if I'm
going to use a Zope-based framework at all, I'd really like it to be
pure Zope 3.

Many people on this list are are probably far more experienced with
Plone than I am, and Plone has changed a great deal since the 2.1 and
2.5 days when I last seriously worked with it.

Meanwhile, my Django site is going to be full of interfaces and
adapters, it's probably going to drive maintainers nuts (until they
realise how useful they are, however) :)

Plone *is* moving towards a Zope3-based architecture, (and I see
you're working on making grok available via Five) which is why I think
I should be reevaluating it again.. but for now it appears to be in a
transitional state. If a Grok-based CRUD-style admin UI existed, and I
could then make use of the the rest of Grok to handle workflows,
security, search etc., I think it would be a cleaner, leaner, more
flexible alternative. Does this sound about right to others?

Robert