[Grok-dev] 'jw-simpler-skin-registration' branch ready for merge

Philipp von Weitershausen philipp at weitershausen.de
Fri Aug 1 11:58:23 EDT 2008

I took the liberty of finishing JW's 'jw-simpler-skin-registration'
branch. It now allows you to define layers and register skins like this:

   class IMyCustomLayer(grok.IBrowserRequest):
       pass

   class IMyNiceSkin(IMyCustomLayer, grok.IDefaultBrowserLayer):
       grok.skin('Nice Skin')

I have not done anything about the old way of registering skins (using
this grok.Skin class). It's still in there and works, without any
deprecation warnings.

What shall we do with it? We used to be ok with breaking
backwards-compatibility in Grok since we're still in 0.x. Is this still
the case? Do we need a deprecation period? Shall we send deprecation
warnings?

Personally, I favour ripping it out altogether and having decent upgrade
notes, as we did with all backwards-incomaptible changes before.

Thoughts?