[Grok-dev] Re: mars.* vs. grokcore.view, five.grok and releases

Philipp von Weitershausen philipp at weitershausen.de
Sun Aug 3 12:17:27 EDT 2008

Martin Aspeli wrote:
>> Cool, thanks! I wasn't aware of the skip-fake-eggs option. I was
>> looking for an option like that, but plone.recipe.zope2instance's PyPI
>> page doesn't mention any support for fake eggs at all.
>
> Because that's the wrong recipe... see
>
> http://pypi.python.org/pypi/plone.recipe.zope2install
>
> Fake eggs are done on the Zope *install* not on the individual Zope
> instance.

Duh. :)

>> I saw you brought back buildout:eggs. Why? I see this a lot in Plone
>> buildouts and I always wonder what it's for. AFAIK buildout:eggs isn't
>> an official option supported by zc.buildout. Frankly, I find it
>> confusing because it looks like it does something, but so far I
>> couldn't figure out what it does.
>
> The real reason is that I was fiddling with the buildout until I could
> make it work. However, for buildouts like this where the whole thing is
> about a single set of eggs (i.e. you want both the instance, the custom
> interpreter and the test runner to work on the exact same working set),
> I find it more natural to declare those at the top and re-use the
> variable throughout. It's just a personal preference, though.

Makes sense, I guess, except that it still looks like it actually does
something up there (while it's really just a variable that you refer to
from other sections). It also seems to me it leads to cargo-cult
buildouts, like in Plone, where for no apparent reason, elementree and
PIL are always in that eggs option.

>> I'm particularly puzzled that you included grokcore.security and
>> grokcore.view in that option. Why? THey should just be picked up as
>> dependencies of five.grok.
>
> Yeah, I thought so too, but for some reason they weren't - or rather,
> grokcore.security was missing in bin/test. I just wanted to get
> something that worked checked in quickly, but we should try to take it
> out again and work out if/why it fails to pick it up.

It shoudl really just be enough to specify five.grok. And maybe
zope.component to specify the version boundaries explicitly.