[Grok-dev] Re: megrok.yui released

Wichert Akkerman wichert at wiggy.net
Fri Aug 8 04:24:59 EDT 2008

Previously Martin Aspeli wrote:
> Martijn Faassen wrote:
> >Hi there,
> >
> >Today I've wrapped up and released megrok.yui. This is a packaging of
> >the YUI javascript and CSS library for easy installation into a Grok
> >application. It uses megrok.resourcelibrary. To install megrok.yui,
> >simply add this in the dependencies to your setup.py and rerun buildout.
> >
> >Here is a bit more information:
> >
> >http://pypi.python.org/pypi/megrok.yui
>
> Just curious: Why YUI? Why not Ext, say, or Ext + jQuery?
>
> That's not a loaded question. I'm just curious about what makes people
> choose one over the other.

Ext produces absolutely insane html. I did a simple test with it a while
ago and creating a simple table produces a DOM with 14 nested divs. It
is all geared towards trying to build a full windowing system in your
webpages, which is something you never need.

Designed would kill me on site if I ask them to style the result of Ext.

YUI has the advantage of being extremely well documented.

Wichert.