[Grok-dev] grokproject: paster support in trunk now

Michael Haubenwallner michael at d2m.at
Mon Dec 8 06:55:21 EST 2008

Derek Richardson wrote:
> Martijn Faassen wrote:
>> Hey Brandon,
>>
>> Brandon Craig Rhodes wrote:
>>> Will the paster grokproject be released soon?  I'm talking about Grok at
>>> a conference next week, and, since Grok provides no native user login
>>> page or management (that I'm aware of), I really need the WSGI stack
>>> available in order to show "how easy [or even possible!] it is" to add
>>> user authentication and a login page on top of a Grok app.
>> I think a release will happen sooner if it gets more eyeballs in review
>> and if it gets documentation. You can try it out by checking it out and
>> running buildout on it. Then you can try bin/grokproject
>>
>> Could you give it a spin and perhaps write a little document about how
>> one uses it?
>>
>> This way you'll learn about it and can still talk about it next week,
>> even if it isn't released yet. It's a rather major change in the way
>> things work so this needs careful preparation in the way of
>> documentation including our beginners tutorial.
>>
>> Regards,
>>
>> Martijn
>
> Hi. I've been out of the loop for a while, but have a need to integrate
> two grok apps as wsgi applications in a pre-existing paste wsgi pipeline
> with multiple other wsgi apps.
>
> I tried this yesterday but ran into a problem. I don't want to run
> grokproject in my central paste directory. I would like to have a
> separate directory for the grok app at the same level as the central
> paste pipeline. Like so:
>
> /srv
>   |- oitws-web-server (central paste pipeline)
>   |- tco (grok app 1)
>   |- invoices (grok app 2)
>
> where tco and invoices can serve as endpoints in the pipeline set in
> oitws-web-server. I like this design because it keeps the grok endpoints
> separate from the main paste pipeline - easier to maintain or remove the
> grok apps, if necessary.
>
> Is this a reasonable design? If not, why? If so, what is the best way to
> do it? I found that, when I put the paste ini config section for tco
> into oitws-web-server, the paste pipeline couldn't find the conf files
> for zope. When I moved them over to oitws-web-server/etc, it found them
> but then it couldn't access tco's parts. I assume that this is all due
> to pre-set relative paths.

Hi Derek, i just changed the trunk to make configuration files use
absolute paths. Starting the instance from different directories and
paste configs should work now.
One thing to remember: startup.py assumes that .ini and zope.conf files
are in the same folder (global_config['here'], thats the location of the
paster .ini file). If you want to change that behaviour please let me
know. The zope.conf file could be read as well from the package/etc folder.

Regards
Michael

--
http://blog.d2m.at