[Grok-dev] UPDATE recently created projects to 0.14.1

Martijn Faassen faassen at startifact.com
Tue Dec 16 08:57:32 EST 2008

Sebastian Ware wrote:
> Being the devils advocate if I am excused. This feels like a
> microsoftesque solution. Would be a lot nicer if could query my Grok
> installation from a commandline or dashboard like interface.
>
>    the.url.com:port Grok 0.14 *** Security alert ***
>    other.url.com:port Grok 0.14.1 Ok
>    another.url.com:port Grok 0.12.1 *** Security alert ***
>
> That way one could have a consolidated view, minimising the risk of
> missing an app. Having to enter each admin application page as "the
> default way" to check this seems a bit cumbersome and prone to
> oversight (the mother of all security holes).

I think both are useful. I don't think user interfaces that give you
notifications are a bad thing. It's useful to get messages out to a
developer or user of a single application. It's something we can do with
relatively little effort as we already have a user interface.

If someone wants to sit down and create a management tool that would be
nice too. We should definitely study existing sysadmin management tools
first though to see whether they have protocols we can support - I'm
sure this kind of problem has solutions already.