[Grok-dev] Feature request grokproject

Sebastian Ware sebastian at urbantalk.se
Thu Feb 21 13:04:29 EST 2008

21 feb 2008 kl. 18.11 skrev Lennart Regebro:

> On Thu, Feb 21, 2008 at 5:35 PM, Sebastian Ware <sebastian at urbantalk.se
> > wrote:
>> I wish grokproject would:
>>
>> a) report which python executable it is using (and maybe which
>> directories that python installation uses for shared stuff)
>
> Could be a good idea.
>
>> b) optionally report which modules that python installation has
>> available
>
> I didn't understand this.

My use case was that I had installed PIL with a different python2.4
than the one that I used to install easy_install... However it is
probably easier to start python and type help(modules). Given that one
has the info from "a)".

>> c) warn if there are several similar python installations, and maybe
>> even give some hints on how this might cause problems
>
> Well, grokproject uses the python that you run it with, right? So from
> grokprojects point of view, there is only one, right?

Maybe this also is asking too much. I was thinking that it could check
the system paths to see if more python interpreters come up. But it
might just be a hassle to maintain such a feature with different
platforms etc.

> I always run grokproject (or easy_install, or virtualev) with the full
> path, so I know what I'm running. For example:
>
> /opt/python2.4/bin/grokproject

Sometimes, one isn't in total control... :)

mvh Sebastian