[Grok-dev] Re: ANN: New Grok Powered Website

Martin Aspeli optilude at gmx.net
Thu Feb 21 16:00:02 EST 2008

Hi Kevin,

> I am pleased to announce the new http://www.montereycountyweekly.com
> site powered by Grok/Zope3. It was soft-launched early December. The
> site took approx. 8-9 months to build (5 months on the public face and
> 3-4 months on the back end), has over 35,000+ pages (as indexed by
> Google) and according to sloccount is composed of 15,430 lines of python
> code.

Congratulations! The site looks really good! :-)

Is there a "sites using Grok" area on grok.zope.org? It'd be nice to get
this up there, if you'll agree.

> Biggest hurdles: lack of export/import, moving large data sets, lack of
> docs/examples (at the time), lack of layers and viewlets, Catalog
> scaling limitations, lack of respect to how long it takes to build a
> custom CMS from ground up, zc.buildout
>
> Biggest helpers: GROK SMASH ZCML, grok.View, hurry.query, groklets, a
> renewed respect for ZPT's especially macros, Martijn's sense of humor,
> Philipp's book, emacs, screen, open source in general, zc.buildout

Thanks for this list - I think it's it's very important that we capture
these things.

I'm curious as to what the hurdles and helpers with zc.buildout were?

I'm also curious why you chose to write a CMS from scratch rather than
use an existing one?

Cheers,
Martin