[Grok-dev] Re: [website] Let's do content!

Noah Gift noah.gift at gmail.com
Thu Jan 3 21:09:30 EST 2008

On Jan 3, 2008, at 2:09 PM, Martijn Faassen wrote:

> Noah Gift wrote:
>> On Jan 2, 2008, at 1:48 PM, Martijn Faassen wrote:
> [snip]
>>> If indeed Paste needs to be installed, this could indeed trip up a
>>> lot of people, but I'm still confused as to why you think this is
>>> not done by grokproject.
>> This is just a guess from the traceback I got.  I then manually
>> installed PasteScript and I believe Paster, and I was then able to
>> create a project.

Martin,

> Please keep an eye on this. It's extremely important we don't lose
> people during installation. Did you retry without Paste installed
> and did it work the second time?

I was able to recreate the problem,  once but then not again.  It
might be my limited understanding of virtualenv and buildout
currently, as it is possible I did not remove the correct item to
fully test this.  I will report that on python2.4.4 it worked
flawlessly, and I had never installed paste in python2.4.4.  Clearly
highlighting the version of python in the tutorial and possibly
including information about using virtual env, could be useful.  I
forget if I noticed this or not in the tutorial.

I have another OS X machine that has a fresh Leopard install that I
will test this on in the next couple of days, so I can be 100% sure,
it isn't something about my environment.  Again, here was the most
recent traceback:

[ngift at Macintosh-6][H:10944][J:0]> virtualenv groknoahgift
New python executable in groknoahgift/bin/python
Installing setuptools............done.
[ngift at Macintosh-6][H:10945][J:0]> groknoahgift
[ngift at Macintosh-6][H:10946][J:0]> ll
total 0
drwxr-xr-x  7 ngift  staff  238 Jan  3 09:46 bin
drwxr-xr-x  3 ngift  staff  102 Jan  3 09:46 lib
[ngift at Macintosh-6][H:10947][J:0]> bin/easy_install grokproject
Searching for grokproject
Best match: grokproject 0.6
Processing grokproject-0.6-py2.5.egg
Adding grokproject 0.6 to easy-install.pth file
Installing grokproject script to /Users/ngift/src/groknoahgift/bin

Using /Library/Python/2.5/site-packages/grokproject-0.6-py2.5.egg
Processing dependencies for grokproject
Finished processing dependencies for grokproject
[ngift at Macintosh-6][H:10948][J:0]> pwd
/Users/ngift/src/groknoahgift
[ngift at Macintosh-6][H:10949][J:0]> ll
total 0
drwxr-xr-x  8 ngift  staff  272 Jan  3 09:46 bin
drwxr-xr-x  3 ngift  staff  102 Jan  3 09:46 lib
[ngift at Macintosh-6][H:10950][J:0]> bin/grokproject noahgift
Traceback (most recent call last):
   File "bin/grokproject", line 5, in <module>
     from pkg_resources import load_entry_point
   File "build/bdist.linux-i686/egg/pkg_resources.py", line 2561, in
<module>
   File "build/bdist.linux-i686/egg/pkg_resources.py", line 626, in
require
   File "build/bdist.linux-i686/egg/pkg_resources.py", line 524, in
resolve
pkg_resources.DistributionNotFound: PasteScript>=1.3
[ngift at Macintosh-6][H:10951][J:0]>

> On Leopard, did you use Python 2.5 with Grok? We don't officially
> support that combination yet, though I don't see how that could lead
> to this error.

Yes, I was using Python2.5.  One thing to note for Leopard users, is
that it is non-trivial to install Python 2.4.4, as Python 2.5.1 is the
default.  I believe I was most successful by using macports, as there
were problems getting python2.4 to compile properly.  Python2.4 gets
installed here with macports:

/opt/local/bin/python2.4

So to summarize, I had no problems installing Grok using the supported
version of Python2.4.4 via macports.