[Grok-dev] Re: Grok 1.0 and beyond

Martijn Faassen faassen at startifact.com
Fri Jan 4 18:55:20 EST 2008

Hey,

Tres Seaver wrote:
> Note that if we make 'easy_install' a
> first-class citizen in the Grok world (see Noah's problems earlier this
> week), then we don't need or want to jam such helpers in the core:  they
> are a 'bin/easy_install <helper>' awa (in the virtualenv case).

> This is where virtualenv / easy_install shine:  you can install a thing,
> try it out, etc. with near zero effort.

Buildout makes this pretty easy too, and it's already set up for you by
grokproject. You'd edit setup.py of your project and run bin/buildout to
get the new component. I do this all the time. If you don't want it
anymore, remove it from setup.py and rerun bin/buildout.

The only place where virtualenv is currently being used (and can give
rise to trouble) is where people want to install grokproject itself. I
hope we can streamline that procedure.

I know there are people who are in favor of easy_install over buildout,
but we'd need to see some really compelling arguments before we consider
throwing buildout overboard or trying to mix the two in some way, given
that buildout is already a working solution right now (with a lot of
recipes available).