[Grok-dev] Re: [grok-br] Grok 1.0 and beyond

Martijn Faassen faassen at startifact.com
Fri Jan 4 20:24:25 EST 2008

Hey,

On Jan 5, 2008 12:54 AM, Noah Gift <noah.gift at gmail.com> wrote:
> >> - *Good* form generation: zope.formlib's is too primitive comparing
> >> Django admin interface or Archetypes, for example;
> >
> > Details? How are the Django admin interface or Archetypes better?
> >
> +1 on creating an awesome CRUD tool/admin interface.  I believe, if I
> read Mark Ramm's blog correctly, that Turbogears is working on a CRUD
> tool for SQLAlchemy.  It might be a great place to get some advice.
> In a perfect world, it would be awesome of a reusable component was
> developed that worked in or out of Grok.  I volunteer to help on the
> CRUD tool, if you need help.

I'm all for a CRUD tool, but what does such a CRUD tool entail? What's
missing in Grok now, or too hard? I mean, we already can do quite a
bit of CRUD with only a little bit of code. We have forms, we have
indexes, etc. I know I sound like a broken record in this thread by
now, but we do need some more specific input/feedback/criticism to
have an idea on where people would want us to go?

To think about this myself, the main thing missing perhaps is
something like zc.table integration, though it's not very hard to use
by itself. I can also see a place for an easier way to make extensible
menus with actions, something along the line of Zope 3's menus. What
else? copy/paste/delete support? I actually have a lot of this stuff
in an unreleased application, but that's not ready for a public
release yet (and has quite a few customer-specific features).