[Grok-dev] Re: grok futures: the return of the ZMI

Lennart Regebro regebro at gmail.com
Tue Jan 8 04:30:15 EST 2008

I totallt agree with what Paul writes here. Although I thing that
schema and workflow editing is not something that Grok should do, but
rather something to be written *with* grok. :)

I do like the ideas CRUD/BREAD support and that would be very ZMI-like
indeed. I think it's important to point out that in a Grok world, such
a thing would not be a part of Grok, as the ZMI was a part of Zope,
but that rather such a CRUD/BREAD application is in fact just another
application.

So it doesn't need to be a part of Grok core. However, it's so useful
that it could be argued that it *should* be. :)

On Jan 7, 2008 8:13 PM, Paul Everitt <paul at zeapartners.org> wrote:

> My oh my, what a thread. :^)
>
> Like Martin, I don't have enough time at the moment to say too much, but
> briefly:
>
> 1) The ZMI was an outgrowth of Principia, which wanted to hide Python.
> As such, it (for better or worse) brought in a number of people whose
> goal wasn't to do "programming".  (Think of it as: would you rather type
> in Visicalc or write COBOL?)
>
> However, it brought up an interesting point Jon Stahl brought up.  It
> wasn't just that this audience *couldn't* program, it was also that they
> weren't *trusted* to program.  Meaning, you'd never let that group of
> power users ssh into the server, hack stuff, and restart.
>
> I think for customer projects, this is an important point.  It's hard to
> make customers into full-fledged developers of the stack *and* maintain
> a service level agreement.
>
> 2) I think ArchGenXML shows that there is a variant of TTW vs.
> Filesystem.  Meaning, people can do meaningful stuff in a pointy-clicky,
> model-driven approach.  They aren't writing anything that would resemble
> code.  But they *are* doing a tremendous amount of business specification.
>
> Thus, a new ZMI wouldn't have to do TTW *development*.  We could leave
> out restricted Python.  We could even leave out ZPT.  In fact, we could
> freaking leave out the browser.  Instead, it would be about
> pointy-clicky model specification.
>
> Instead, produce a "model", as Martin says, that can be checked into SVN
> and address all the concerns about ZODB black box.  It then becomes
> "through-the-REST".
>
> I confess that I'm working on such an idea.  Since I have been full of
> shit on this story since before Martijn Pieters joined Digital
> Creations, I need to keep my mouth shut until I show anything.
>
> --Paul
>

> Martin Aspeli wrote:
> > Hi Martijn,
> >
> > I think this is a very interesting post. I don't have time to answer in
> > kind, but I'll give you a run-down of our experiences and thoughts from
> > Plone.
> >
> >  - TTW template, CSS, image and other resource customisation is a very
> > important use case for us. This is part of what makes Plone attractive
> > to new developers, and it makes some operations very quick in Plone land.
> >
> >  - TTW programming causes more harm than good, unless you're careful and
> > you know what you're doing, you're likely to end up with a mess. If
> > your're careful and you know what you're doing, you're likely to be
> > happier with a filesystem development model anyway.
> >
> >  - People aren't afraid of the filesystem. They're afraid of elaborate
> > and time-consuming configuration and setup. We've had reasonable success
> > with Paste Script-based templates that get people up-and-running
> > quickly. The more convention-over-configuration this is the better (ZCML
> > slugs must die...).
> >
> > Pylons has a nice model here. You run "paster create -t pylons" to
> [...]

http://www.colliberty.com/
+33 661 58 14 64