[Grok-dev] Re: Docs: Using Virtualenv with Grok

Kevin Teague kevin at bud.ca
Wed Jan 23 07:07:33 EST 2008

I've rolled some of the comments and corrections into this doc, as
well as done some polishing to the text.

http://plone.grok.quintagroup.com/documentation/how-to/using-virtualenv-for-a-clean-grok-installation

I removed the bit about needing to install easy_install after creating
a new virtualenv, because virtualenv creates an easy_install for use
with it (maybe it doesn't on an older version of virtualenv, I've got
version 1.0). I've linked to this doc from the "Download" intro page
that I've been writting (http://plone.grok.quintagroup.com/about/download
). Also I had to include a reference to "both a belt and suspenders" :)

As for twiddling the PATH, I always find it kind of odd that activate
is in ./bin since it's not executable. Although I don't usually use
it, and where else would you put it so ....  I do have quite a few
bash files intended for sourcing at work though. I've got a BuildIt
project which builds a buncha bioinformatic stuff and generates
explicit shell files. Then the developers can run things without
needing PATHs everywhere or loads of configuration, while still making
everything explicit and repeatable :)