[Grok-dev] Re: The shared hosting story, in print anyone?

Tres Seaver tseaver at palladion.com
Sat Jan 26 08:02:27 EST 2008

Sebastian Ware wrote:
> This is a blog entry about Rails and shared hosting that I believe
> applies to Grok as well:
>
>    http://blog.dreamhost.com/2008/01/07/how-ruby-on-rails-could-be-much-better/
>
> If you aren't up to reading the entire blog, one of the parts caught
> my eye. Four reasons why Rails fails in shared hosting scenarios (the
> first three abbreviated):
>
> """
> 1 Ruby on Rails needs to be a helluva lot faster...
>
> 2 Ruby on Rails needs to more or less work in ANY environment...
>
> 3 You need to maintain backwards compatibility better...
>
> 4 Officially support shared hosting environments. The feeling I get
> from the Rails community is that Rails is being pushed as some sort of
> high-end application system and that makes it ok to ignore the vast
> majority of user web environments. You simply cannot ignore the shared
> hosting users. In my opinion, the one thing the PHP people did that
> got them to where they are today is to embrace shared hosting and work
> hard to make their software work well within it. That means it has to
> be very lightweight (it may be too late for that in Rails already!),
> and it has to ‘plug in’ to a wide variety of operating environments
> with minimal fuss and hassle. Compatibility work like that is not
> glamorous, exciting, or fun, but it’s gotta be done.
> """
>
> In our case, I think we need a tutorial for shared hosting providers.
>
>    "Installing and managing Grok in a shared hosting environment"
>
> I have no experience of setting up shared hosting services, but maybe
> someone here has.

It is pretty unlikely that anybody has *any* successful experience
running any Zope-based application in such a scenario:  the constraints
essentially block having a long-running process, which has been nearly
an absolute requirement (until mod_wsgi).  The constratints are alos
self-contradictory:  "go fast" and "consume minimal reesources" can't be
satisfied well at scale.  PHP manages to sustain the illusion of those
two by giving up completely on another crucial one:  "don't suck to
write or maintain."

It isn't that I'm *hostile* to the idea of running Zope-based apps on
such boxes:  I'm just skeptical.

Tres.
- --
Tres Seaver          +1 540-429-0999          tseaver at palladion.com