[Grok-dev] Re: Martian as an external in the Grok trunk

Martijn Faassen faassen at startifact.com
Sat Jan 26 16:47:28 EST 2008

Hey,

Jan-Wijbrand Kolman wrote:
> I'm still not sure. But I don't also know how to formulate my arguments
> more clearly at this moment. I'll get back on it when I do.

I just had an idea elsewhere in this thread. Next time we feel the need
to change a dependency such as Martian and then change Grok, we should
branch it first. We also branch Grok. We put in an external in the Grok
branch to rely on the Martian branch. The developer of the code is happy
as they can buildout a working checkout at any time. We then do our work
on both branches.

When merging the Grok branch into the trunk, we need to merge Martian
branch first, and update a new version. We can then remove the external
from the Grok branch, test, and if it works, merge the updated version
into the trunk. This way those who rely on the trunk at least aren't
bothered by the appearance of new externals.

I'm not sure whether this strategy can *always* work, but I think we can
do it most of the time we need to develop a dependency in parallel with
Grok. Would this make you happier? There'd still be an external on the
branch...