[Grok-dev] Re: paster vs grokproject

Martijn Faassen faassen at startifact.com
Tue Jan 29 11:45:30 EST 2008

Philipp von Weitershausen wrote:
> On 29 Jan 2008, at 16:41 , Wichert Akkerman wrote:
>> Previously Philipp von Weitershausen wrote:
>>> So you won't have to do
>>>
>>> 1. paster create -t grokapp
>>> 2. cd MyProj
>>> 3. edit buildout.cfg to match current Grok release
>>> 4. python bootstrap.py
>>> 5. bin/buildout
>>>
>>> grokproject basically automates that in one go. Use the source, Luke,
>>> it's pretty simple and should be documented.
>>
>> the plone_hosting paster template does all of that actually. You can
>> define code that runs both before and after the templates are generated,
>> and I used that to run bootstrap and buildout automatically.
>
> Neat. I shall take a look at that. I certainly wouldn't mind bringing
> grokproject/zopeproject closer to the paster infrastructure, especially
> since it's become the defacto standard to do scaffolding in the Python
> world.

Agreed. I think think it's nice to have something called "grokproject"
however, as it presents the utter minimum barrier to get started (no
potentially mysterious paster with all kinds of other options to worry
about). The more grokproject fits within paster however (and thus could
also be used straight from paster if you should choose to do so) the better.