[Grok-dev] Re: error_log?

Philipp von Weitershausen philipp at weitershausen.de
Tue Jul 1 10:15:03 EDT 2008

Brandon Craig Rhodes wrote:
> "Peter Bengtsson" <peter at fry-it.com> writes:
>
>> Have I missed something or does Grok not have an error_log?  If so,
>> what are my options?
>
> Well, you're right!  I have never noticed that before.  It has nothing
> that's quite the equivalent of error_log.

It does have the exact equivalent of error_log. See my book p.435 and my
reply to Peter.

> The access_log, for those
> newer grok people who might not have found it, is located in:
>
>    ./parts/zopectl/access.log
>
> If you run your app with "./bin/zopectl fg", then errors of course go to
> the screen; but if you run it as a daemon with "./bin/zopectl start" and
> "stop", then the errors go instead to:
>
>    ./parts/zopectl/z3.log
>
> But, to answer your question, Peter, "z3.log" seems to contain no
> information about what URL was being processed when each error was
> produced.  Maybe the Zope folks just kind of forgot that an error
> message without a URL is not terribly useful? ;-)

I'm not sure how easy it would be to print URLs for the error reporting
utility to the log. It would probably easier to just use a WSGI
middleware that would both catch exceptions from the application, store
them, and then display them later. IIRC, repoze.errorlog is pretty much
that.