[Grok-dev] Re: understanding martian

Martijn Faassen faassen at startifact.com
Thu Jul 3 15:22:36 EDT 2008

Santiago Videla wrote:
[snip]
> Finally, is martian and grokkers what I'm looking for? maybe it's not
> enough information, and besides that, my english is very short... sorry

I'm not sure whether Martian is what you're looking for, as I'm not
entirely sure about the mechanics you're proposing.

You'd write a new grokker in the same case where in straight Zope 3
you'd write a ZCML statement. It's important to realize you're doing
configuration with these cases: gluing things up to each other. If
you're just building a more sophisticated view or viewlet or whatnot,
you might just be able to reuse grok.View or grok.Viewlet and provide a
new base class.

I consider there to be a gray area between configuration and
non-configuration, but a way to recognize you're doing configuration is
to see when you need to fill some special registry, such as the
zope.component registries, or perhaps simply a global Python dictionary.

Another way to recognize "configuration" is when you need behavior to be
pluggable or overridable from extension to your application. How you
configure that behavior is a form of configuration.