[Grok-dev] Re: Amazon EC2/S3 control panel in Grok

Luciano Ramalho luciano at ramalho.org
Sun Jul 20 19:14:27 EDT 2008

On Sun, Jul 20, 2008 at 7:10 PM, David Bain <david.bain at alteroo.com> wrote:
> My headspace is more around creating finished products for grok. So as
> a community we can say "look, see what grok did".

+1000, David.

That is what Grok (and Zope 3) need: finished, working products with
open source code that people can study.

A Lego Technic kit is not just a bunch of parts, but also the photos
and blueprints for one finished product (or more than one). That does
not mean you have to build exactly that, but the finished product
shows how the parts fit together in sub-assemblies. It illustrates the
design patterns, if you will.

Looking at Zope 3 makes me think of a black bag with a thousand Lego
Technic parts and no blueprints. There is a wealth of documentation
and tests, but the parts are documented and tested separately most of
the time. If you are not one of the designers, it takes too long to
figure out how the pieces are supposed to fit together.

Cheers,

Luciano