[Grok-dev] testing, in general [slightly OT]

Toni Mueller support at oeko.net
Thu Jul 24 12:31:47 EDT 2008

Hi,

I'm still wrestling with my database problem, trying to create a
product in egg form after the hints in the Zope3 wiki. The egg must
be usable inside Zope, and outside Zope, too.

I'm using the z3c.testsetup machinery.

An important part of the egg is creating some tables in an SQL
database, and populating them. The relevant part of the program runs
just fine when called from the command line, but fails miserably when
called via 'bin/test', because in that case, no tables get created, and
subsequently, everything else fails, too.

I've discovered that the only difference is that, when trying to run
the test suite, the egg thinks it is running under Zope. It doesn't
think so when run from the command line, and it also isn't run under
Zope with the test... only that it somehow ("magically") picks up
zope.sqlalchemy, which is part of the virtualenv I use anyway. It
somehow doesn't pick that up when run from the command line.

My guess is that, failing to have a Zope transaction, nothing of the
SQLAlchemy transaction machinery works, too. This problem is
exacerbated by the fact that it's 'forbidden' to manually say
"session.commit()" while under zope.sqlalchemy, and that
"session.flush()" seems to do absolutely nothing, except for generating
one more error message.

Any ideas about how to fix it, or a better place to ask, please?

Kind regards,
--Toni++