[Grok-dev] Re: feedback of mod_wsgi and repoze.grok

Graham Dumpleton Graham.Dumpleton at gmail.com
Tue Jul 29 08:22:05 EDT 2008

On Jul 29, 7:09 pm, "Vincent Fretin" <vincent.fre... at gmail.com> wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I tested mod_wsgi and repoze.grok. My main goal is to use it to serve
> a grokstar instance, but for now grokstar lack an auth functionnality,
> so I can't use it right now.
> For now I don't have a rest blog to post my feedback, so I've attached
> it in .rst and the html generated.
> I spend lots of hours reading mod_wsgi documentation, fixing errors
> and writing this tutorial-like feedback. So I hope it will be useful!
> You can modify, copy what have written and eventually update the grok
> tutorial with it.
>
> Oh and I didn't presented myself. I'm french, 22 years old. I just
> finished my university studies in informatic. I begin working for real
> next week in a young very small compagny doing Plone sites. I'll try
> using some of grok techno with Plone. ;-)

It is best not to specify 'processes=1' to WSGIDaemonProcess if you
only want one process, let mod_wsgi fallback to its default of
creating one process if 'processes' is not defined.

The difference is significant, because if you use the 'processes'
option, whether or not it is set to '1', it will be regarded as being
multiprocess in WSGI world. That is, wsgi.multiprocess is True. If you
don't specify 'processes' and let default of one process apply
wsgi.multiprocess will be False.

This all matters as stuff like interactive debuggers such as
EvalException from Paste will not work when WSGI says it is
multiprocess.

For more details see:

  http://code.google.com/p/modwsgi/wiki/DebuggingTechniques
  http://code.google.com/p/modwsgi/wiki/ProcessesAndThreading