[Grok-dev] grokdeploy tool idea

Peter Bengtsson peter at fry-it.com
Tue Jun 3 10:25:04 EDT 2008

I like the idea of that ultimate goal but it sounds excessively
complicated considering that everybodys deployment strategies seem to
be different. Basically, all it should really require is the ability
to do an svn commit locally following a svn update + zopectl restart
on the server.

Perhaps I just don't understand what you mean by baking the egg but
usually the stuff I code and then launch on a server is stuff in the
company svn rather than eggs.

I think we have to be careful to not get too technical on this as it
might distract from what Grok is all about. A good suggested process
might help more. It's already a problem that to make a site in Grok
you don't just have to learn Grok you have to learn Buildout AND Grok
and sometimes you have to learn vritualenv, easy_install and how eggs
work.

2008/6/3 Martijn Faassen <faassen at startifact.com>:
> Hi there,
>
> Tim Terlegård just mentioned that the google app engine has a really easy
> way to deploy your locally developed code to its server, and that it'd be
> cool if Grok had something like that too.
>
> So, let's imagine a tool called 'grokdeploy'. grokdeploy can take a grok
> project and deploy it to a WSGI compliant server. It does this by baking an
> egg from the current project, and transfers it along with some config files
> (buildout.cfg? paste config files?) to a WSGI compliant server, and installs
> it into that server. It is driven by either commandline arguments or some
> config file. The grokdeploy config file could be placed in the current
> directory, along the lines of, along the lines of buildout.cfg, and found
> automatically.
>
> So, given a grok project, you could do the following in its project
> directory:
>
>  $ cd myproject
>  $ bin/grokdeploy
>  Deploying application
>  Baking egg..
>  Uploading to http://www.example.com/...
>  Done! Application is running on:
>  http://www.example.com
>  $
>
> You'd typically only want to run this from a tag, of course, if you're wise.
> :)
>
> Ideas? Comments? Volunteers to implement all this?
>
> Regards,
>
> Martijn

Peter Bengtsson,
work www.fry-it.com