[Grok-dev] Re: Grok 0.13 released!

Uli Fouquet uli at gnufix.de
Tue Jun 24 05:51:41 EDT 2008

Hi David,

David Bain wrote:
> I love this document. It mentions 0.13 all of 5 times at the top of
> the document.
> Then near the bottom, perhaps for persons who didn't get the point, it
> mentions that "If you run into an error... chances are [you're using]
> 0.12".
>
> I wonder how many users will come asking why this stuff isn't working
> with 0.12 :).

Yeah, that's fun :-) Well, sort of. I'd expect less trouble now, where
0.13 is out in the wilderness.

One thing that confuses me: I tried to tag the document (the
grok.testing how-to) as belonging to 0.13 (this way mentioning 0.13 a
sixth time ;-). When I did so, it appeared as outdated. How come? What
do I have to do to let this outdated warning not appear in the document?

Another thing: we really had several people that tried to apply this
0.13 how-to to projects running in fact grok < 0.13. One could say,
those people should look what version they run before posting, but this
might be difficult for some to determine. There is no '--version' switch
but we certainly could make it easier for people.

I think it would be useful to make the Grok version better visible. This
could be done for instance in the admin-UI. The question then is, how
the admin UI code should determine the version number. The easiest IMHO
would be, if there would be something like a `__version__` attribute for
the grok package. So you could do::

  >>> import grok
  >>> grok.__version__
  '0.13'