[Grok-dev] Re: Grok 0.13 released!

Philipp von Weitershausen philipp at weitershausen.de
Tue Jun 24 06:33:23 EDT 2008

Uli Fouquet wrote:
> I think it would be useful to make the Grok version better visible. This
> could be done for instance in the admin-UI. The question then is, how
> the admin UI code should determine the version number. The easiest IMHO
> would be, if there would be something like a `__version__` attribute for
> the grok package. So you could do::
>
>   >>> import grok
>   >>> grok.__version__
>   '0.13'
>
> What do you think?

That's one way, but I think setuptools has some API to determine the
installed version of an egg. I think we should try to avoid maintaining
a version number in both setup.py and grok/__init__.py.

If you're just looking for a quick way to determine the installed
version yourself (e.g. for a tutorial), I suggest this:

   >>> import grok
   >>> grok
   <module 'grok' from '.../grok-0.13-py2.4.egg/grok/__init__.pyc'>

:)