[Grok-dev] Re: Defining 3rd-party eggs within a grok buildout?

Martijn Faassen faassen at startifact.com
Wed Jun 25 17:45:12 EDT 2008

Toni Mueller wrote:
> Hi,
>
> thanks for your answer!
>
> On Wed, 25.06.2008 at 22:59:03 +0200, Martijn Faassen <faassen at startifact.com> wrote:
>> The drawback of hardcoding version numbers in setup.py is that it
>> becomes harder to combine packages which may have different
>> requirements, and that it becomes harder to just change to a bugfix
>> release, etc.
>
> Nailing down the versions of packages is the only way I can see to
> reliably exclude beta code from a product.

Yes, I'm all for nailing down eggs, myself. It's just a matter of where.

> I'd like to be able, at some
> point, to distribute an app with eg. a buildout.cfg and a setup.py in a
> way that I am sure that the receiver of the package will get an
> _identical_ piece of code, not some other versions that I didn't
> test with...

Oh, yes, this is a long-standing problem for Grok too, and a point of
personal frustration. We've solved it for Grok itself. You can do the
same for your own application (versions section in buildout). This is
the command on how to generate the versions list for those things not
yet nailed down:

./bin/buildout -vvvvv|sed -ne 's/^Picked: //p' | sort | uniq

you can use this to make sure all dependencies are nailed down.