[Grok-dev] Re: Template directories

Martijn Faassen faassen at startifact.com
Thu Jun 26 08:11:26 EDT 2008

Hi there,

Peter Bengtsson wrote:
[snip]
>>> The most annoying thing is tab completion, since I start typing app
>>> followed by TAB and then have to supply the rest every time.
>> the damn thing auto-complete...   :)
>>
> Good that I'm not the only one being fustratest by this seemingly
> minor problem.

It's interesting that this is one of the primary motivations for this
change.

I currently see a lot of unknowns in the design that's being proposed.
If people are willing to clear out those unknowns, we could consider
prototyping an implementation and seeing how we could make it possible
for a grok project to use them as an alternative configuration profile.

I think the way a master.pt can be reused in multiple places, for
instance, hasn't really been specified very well. Anyway, I propose we
just ignore that particular potential advantage for now.

The simplest thing that could possibly be done is have a templates
directory that contains subdirectories for all the modules, named after
the modules, which then will contain the templates themselves. Will this
in fact help with tab completion? Will this make it easier for people to
find templates? Such an extra level of nesting would break the 'flat is
better than nested' zen of python rule. It would however fulfill
'namespaces are good' a bit better, as currently obviously foo_templates
sneaks in a fake namespace called '_templates', which could then go away.