[Grok-dev] Re: Grok on Python 2.5

Toni Mueller support at oeko.net
Thu Jun 26 17:14:17 EDT 2008

Hi,

On Thu, 26.06.2008 at 22:02:37 +0200, Martijn Faassen <faassen at startifact.com> wrote:
> Would we then support Python 2.4 and Python 2.5 for a while? Or just
> jump to Python 2.5 immediately? Would we allow Python 2.5-isms in our
> code?
>
> Ideas? Recommendations?

my preferences would be to have both 2.4 and 2.5 supported in one
release (of Grok), and if that's too difficult, having support for 2.4
up to a release X of Grok, and support for 2.5 for the Grok release X +
1.

FWIW, Lenny, which will probably be frozen RSN (2-3 weeks), will move
to 2.5 as their default Python version, and OpenBSD has already
switched to it in 4.3.

So, Martin's argument, and ease of deployment by not having to support
two Python installations in parallel, stand, otherwise I'd say "please
move forward".

Just my 0.0002 cents...

Kind regards,
--Toni++