[Grok-dev] Re: towards a release

Martijn Faassen faassen at startifact.com
Fri Mar 7 11:49:01 EST 2008

Hey Justin,

Thanks for your comment on the documentation, I think that's a valuable
point.

We need to see how to organize the website to do this. I'm looking at
Kevin Teague now for advice on whether plone help center would allow
such a thing.

The way we could work is to have the documentation in the present
location always reflect the most recent release.

Then, as we make a release, we copy all that documentation into its own
section named after the release. The hardest part will be to fix up all
the internally pointing URLs to be consistent...

This way, we could keep a record of the state of the documentation at
release. We need to couple this with clear guidelines concerning the
main flow of documentation: it should only contain documents relevant to
the most recent release, and not anything that won't work anymore or not
yet.

There is a need to develop documentation ahead of time for a new
release. This could be done in SVN trunk, or in some special area on the
website. Upon release, *before* we shift the documentation off into its
own section, we should integrate all this into the main section.

There is enough to watch and work out here to need someone who shepherds
this process. Without a plausible volunteer I don't think we have enough
resources to afford this right now. Instead we should then just focus on
maintaining the current set of documentation to be up to date.