[Grok-dev] Re: STORM howto

Martin Aspeli optilude at gmx.net
Thu Mar 13 16:57:20 EDT 2008

Martijn Faassen wrote:
> Hey,
>
> Christian (Klinger), Sebastian, and Brandon too:
>
> I just started a discussion on the Storm mailing list with some
> questions. I'm exploring whether Storm could make for a good default
> relational database integration layer for Grok.

Has anyone done a comparison between Storm and SQLAlchemy? The latter
seems to be more popular (anecdotally) and widely adopted, and I can
attest that it's a joy to work with, but I've never used (or hardly
heard of) Storm.

Laurence Rowe has been working on a project I started called
collective.lead that does nice connection management and ZODB
transaction synchronisation (with two-phase commit) against SQLAlchemy.
Although I haven't tested it myself, I see no reason why it wouldn't
work with Zope 3/Grok. Of course, it doesn't do anything about
publishing ORM-mapped objects - that'd be left to a different framework
- but it does take the pain out connection and transaction management.

It's in the Cheeseshop if you want to have a look.

Martin