[Grok-dev] Re: collective.namedfile + blob

Martijn Faassen faassen at startifact.com
Thu Mar 13 18:51:30 EDT 2008

Hey,

On Sun, Mar 9, 2008 at 1:10 PM, Dirceu Pereira Tiegs
<dirceutiegs at gmail.com> wrote:
[snip]
>  I made a branch of megrok.form to add support to blobfile / blobimage,
>  but without touching collective.namedfile:
>
>  http://svn.zope.org/megrok.form/branches/z3c.blobfile_support
>
>  ... but it became a mess. :-(

How did it become a mess? Too much custom code?

>  I've also created a branch of collective.namedfile (but doesn't
>  commited yet) with the same additions, but I don't like the idea of
>  adding ZODB 3.8 as a dependency of it. There is any way to add a
>  "conditional dependency" in setup.py? It would be great if we can
>  install collective.namedfile without z3c.blobfile / ZODB 3.8 dependecy
>  in Plone and install *with* these dependecies on Grok / Z3.

I don't know of a good way to do this.

Isn't it possible to create a branch of collective.namedfile, with
some changes to allow for an easier creation of the dependency, and
then make life easier in megrok.form? Hopefully megrok.form will be
less of a mess.

>  If not, I think the better way is to commit the collective.namedfile
>  branch to SVN and upload it to PYPI with another name (like
>  collective.namedblobfile) or something like that. What do you think?

No, I wouldn't want to fork it. It really depends on what kind of mess
you've been getting, but to me it seems possible to tweak/create base
classes in collective.namedfile that *allow* for an extension that
uses blobs.