[Grok-dev] Re: Grok sprint for PyCon 2008: grokcore

Philipp von Weitershausen philipp at weitershausen.de
Sat Mar 15 12:50:28 EDT 2008

Martijn Faassen wrote:
> Philipp von Weitershausen wrote:
> [snip]
>> * the Adapter, MultiAdapter, GlobalUtility base classes from
>> components.py
>>
>> * the GlobalUtilityDirective, GlobalUtilityInfo from directive.py
>>
>> * the AdapterGrokker, MultiAdapterGrokker, GlobalUtilityGrokker,
>> SubscriberGrokker, AdapterDecoratorGrokker from meta.py
>
> What about the local utility support?

Local utility support needs sites (as in ISite) which aren't a feature
of zope.component. In particular, they want to be used with our
grok.Site due to the fact that they don't have their own grokker but are
configured by the SiteGrokker. grok.Site and the SiteGrokker need
various parts from zope.app and are quite taylored to Zope3-the-app-server.

It might be possible to refactor this stuff to make it work on other
platforms (e.g. Zope 2), but right now I don't see this happening. It
even starts with LocalUtility being a grok.Model subclass (and at least
the way I see it, grok.Model has no place in grokcore.component, it's a
grok-the-web-framework thing).

I'd stick with the stuff I mentioned above for now and do the split-off
little by little.