[Grok-dev] Re: -Base baseclass magic

Martijn Faassen faassen at startifact.com
Thu Mar 20 14:40:28 EDT 2008

Robert Marianski wrote:
[updated the appropriate files]

Yeah, I saw it in the checkins the other day.

> Thanks for catching this. I missed it when I made these changes, and
> will try to remember to keep these documents up to date in the future.

It's my job to be picky about this stuff. :) Especially with backwards
compatibility changes (though also with just about any other change)
it's very important we document things well. Zope 3 is doing a very good
job with deprecations over-all (with the occasional inevitable slipups),
but not as good as it could be with documenting these in clear notes
(which tell you what to do). Hopefully we can do better with Grok.

Note that we didn't actually deprecate the 'Base' behavior (supporting
it in the next release, and then taking it out later).

I think deprecations are not really necessary in this case (as the fix
is so easy), but I think it might be worthwhile to spew out warnings
when we see a -Base ending ("Seeing a class end in 'base', but
registering it anyway, please use grok.baseclass() if you don't want
this to happen!") in Martian as otherwise classes will get registered
where before they didn't and people might get surprising behavior when
upgrading.

To really know whether it's to debug these cases I'd need to test things
against Grok/Martian trunk with my own packages which rely on -Base...