[Grok-dev] Some questions about setup and apps

Kevin Teague kevin at bud.ca
Mon Mar 31 13:15:41 EDT 2008

Kamon Ayeva-3 wrote:

> Questions: Can I serve several apps on the same Grok server ? I mean
> same machine and same port ?

Yes, you can package up your Grok apps as eggs, and create a deploymnent
buildout.cfg that looks just like the one created by grokproject except
you reference eggs from more than one application.

In the [buildout] section you can either check your apps out of version
control and reference more than one app on the develop line:

  develop = src/appone src/apptwo

Or use setuptools to create the eggs, and store them on PyPI or locally on a
HTTP server. If they are local, you need something like Apace indexing
enabled and then tell buildout about your egg stash so it knows to look
there for your
eggs:

  find-links = http://example.com/eggs/

Having multiple servers means using a bit more RAM, and a bit more
configuration, but it's nice to be able to upgrade one app without worrying
about breaking the other app ...

Of course, none of this is really document other than snippets about
buildout, eggs and grok on assorted web sites. Having a "How-To host
multiple Grok apps in a single Zope process" would be helpful.